Welcome to Pilot Amphora, a Boutique Hotel that offers intimate hospitality in a state of the art accommodation and quality services for a chilled-out stay within a modern, tranquil, and adult friendly environment. The hotel is located in the center of the village of Georgioupolis Crete, just 2km away from Pilot Beach Resort, with easy access to sightseeing and popular attractions in the area.
Pilot Beach Resort, a corner stone of authentic “Filoxenia” (Hospitality) on the island, inspired and established Pilot Amphora boutique hotel. All the facilities of Pilot Beach Resort as well as the outlets and restaurants-bars are available to all Pilot Amphora guests.
Experience the traditional Cretan hospitality on the grounds of an ancient ceramic workshop.
During the excavations a part for a ceramic workshop from the Roman Time (2nd century AD) has been found along with numerous ceramic pieces from the Amphoras the ceramist was making. The architect and interior designer were inspired by these findings and used it as a theme in the modern design of the hotel.
Amfimalia was the seaport of the city of Lappa, which today is known as Argiroupolis. According to findings from the excavations carried out in the area – many of which are found in the Archaeological Museum of Chania today – the city experienced its peak in the late Minoan and Roman period.
In the years of Byzantium, Agios Ioannis Xenos develops significant action in the region and establishes the monastery of St. George in Dramia Georgioupolis, while assisting in the development of viticulture (wine growing) and beekeeping in the region, which are still particularly important activities for the residents of Georgioupolis.
In the 13th century, while Georgioupolis, as well as Crete, is under the influence of the Venetians, the region grows considerably. In books and documents of the era appear names such as Chrissopolis, Kastelos, Kourna, Kalamitsi Amigdalou, which correspond to villages in the area.
The Venetians built a fort near Georgioupolis, which was later destroyed by the Turks. Then with the stones of the Venetian fortress the Turks built their own, from which only a few ruins are saved today.
In the 19th century, the region attracts many new residents, as on the initiative of local authorities the marsh is dried up and created fields ready for cultivation. At that time, most of the eucalyptus trees are planted in the area, and in 1893 a small town launches its new name: Almyroupolis.
The name came from the salty river that empties there and then was navigable half a kilometer from the sea. In 1899, in honor of Prince George who comes to consolidate the Union of Crete with Greece, Almyroupolis is renamed Georgioupolis and is defined as the co-capital of the prefecture of Sfakia.